The European Psychiatric Association is dedicated to taking personal and active responsibility for our effect on the environment. EPA is committed to integrating new practices in its head office, congresses and promotional activities that will reflect our ethos for change and eco-conscience. We believe that as a continental society EPA has a voice and a responsibility not only to act but also to spread the message to our members and colleagues.
EPA and appointed congress organiser Kenes International are devoted to considering environmentally friendly practice at the European Congress of Psychiatry and in all of our operations. Our responsibility to our congress participants, staff, environment and society is paramount in all of our decisions, policies and practices. We continue to learn and strive to integrate new practices all the time. At present, here are a few of the practices we have undertaken for EPA 2010:
- Our print materials will be printed on recycled or PEFC approved paper. The most recent ‘Preliminary Programme Brochure’ was printed on paper with 50% recycled fibres, 70% of which are collected from post consumer paper waste (e.g from offices and print houses) and the remaining 30% is collected from waste generated during paper production.
- Reduced plastic registration envelopes.
- Name tags at congresses can be deposited when participants leave the meeting and these will be re-used.
- At the congress we will recycle plastic, glass, cans and paper.
- Environmentally conscious offices (amongst other things, we recycle all our waste, including organic waste for compost, integrated energy saving fixtures throughout the building and use only recycled paper).
Offset your Carbon Footprint - You can contribute to our ecological efforts by offsetting the Carbon Footprint of your travels to EPA 2010. A Carbon Offset represents a reduction in emissions somewhere else - like a wind farm in Texas or a reforestation project in Nicaragua - to balance out the emissions you cannot reduce.
You can learn more and offset you carbon foot print at: www.carbonfund.org