Symposium Information
Scientific Information
Sponsorship & Exhibition
Useful Links
Bookmark and Share

Visa to China 


Participants are requested to check with the Chinese Consulate or diplomatic mission in their home country for visa requirements.  It is the responsibility of the participant to obtain a visa if required.  Please note that Chinese visa applications and process can take up to a few weeks, so make sure to plan ahead. 

Invitation Letters:

To request a Symposium Invitation letter please send the following information to and an official invitation letter (PDF) will be prepared and sent to your email.  

  • Full Name (as appears on your passport)
  • Postal Address:
  • Date of Birth:
  • Gender:
  • Passport Number:
  • Citizenship:
  • Passport Expiry Date:
  • Dates of Entry and Exit into China:
  • Name, Address and Phone Number of Lodging (ie. Hotel) 


Do I need a visa to China (not including Hong Kong & Macau)?

Foreigners who visit China are generally required to apply for a visa before departure, but some aliens are exempt from a visa to Mainland China, for example, ordinary passport holders from Singapore, Brunei and Japan enjoy visa free access to Mainland China for up to 15 days.

Where can I get a Symposium invitation letter so that I can apply for leave from work?

Please send the following information to and an official invitation letter (PDF) will be prepared and sent to your email.  

    • Full Name (as appears on your passport)
    • Postal Address:
    • Date of Birth:
    • Gender:
    • Passport Number:
    • Citizenship:
    • Passport Expiry Date:
    • Dates of Entry and Exit into China:
    • Name, Address and Phone Number of Lodging (ie. Hotel) 

Is it possible to send an official invitation letter directly to my local Chinese Consulate?

Unfortunately we are unable to send invitation letters directly to consulates. Invitation letters are prepared solely for individuals and are mailed directly to them.

Where can I submit my visa application?

For entry into China, aliens should apply for visas from Chinese Embassies or Consulates. Each Embassy or consulate has its own consular districts. Usually, applicants are required to lodge their application to the relevant Embassy or Consulate according to consular districts. For example, if you live in Idaho, you should submit application to Chinese Embassy in USA.

Can I apply for a visa at entry ports?

It is very difficult to get a visa on arrival at the entry ports; however, you can get such a visa in real urgent situations which are listed in details on Visa on Arrival (Visa Issued at Entry Ports)

When is the best time to submit my visa application?

Please apply for the visa only 1 or 2 months (at least 2 weeks) before your planned date to enter China. If you apply for the visa too late, you may not have enough time for the application. If you apply for the visa too early, the visa may become invalid before your departure for China. Generally, the validity of a single-entry visa is 3 months, counted from the date of application.

Where can I get the Visa Application Form of the People’s Republic of China?

The easiest way is to download the Visa Application Form of People’s Republic of China (Form V2011 A) and Visa Application Form of People’s Republic of China (Form V2011 B) from internet, but the form is in PDF, you should have installed the software of Adobe Reader. The Visa Application Form is also offered by the embassy or consulate for free.

Do I need to make an appointment to submit application?

It depends upon the embassy or consulate. More than 90% of the China embassies and consulates don’t ask applicants to make an appointment. However, you need to make an appointment for visa application at China Embassy/Consulate in Nigeria. The Chinese Visa Application Service Center has been in operation in UK, Italy, Australia, India, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, which also requires applicants to make an appointment in advance, so check with your nearest embassy or consulate before you go there.

If I can’t go to the embassy or consulate in person, can I entrust someone else to submit my visa application and pick up my visa on my behalf?

Yes, the visa application can be presented by someone else, such as your friends, relatives, visa agency or travel agency, but the visa application form should be completed and signed by yourself. Someone else can pick up your visa for you as long as he can show the “Pick Up Form”.

Can I send my visa application by mailing?

More than 98% of Chinese embassies and consulates don’t accept visa application by mailing. You should visit the official website of Chinese embassy or consulate to check whether it accepts application by mailing or not. Even though the Visa Mail Service is available, the embassy or consulate is not responsible for the loss or damage of your passport and other documents due to mishandling by mail service.

Hong long does it take for the visa application?

Generally speaking, it takes 4 working days for processing the visa application. Many embassies or consulates also provide 1 working day service or 2 – 3 working days service, but you need pay extra money for the service.

Do I have to submit my actual passport for visa application? Can I submit the copy of my passport because I need my passport every day?

Yes, you must offer your actual passport because the Chinese visa should be pasted on the visa page of your passport. Visa can’t be processed without your actual passport. If you need your passport every day, you can apply for 1 working day service and pick up your visa on the day of submission.

What are the requirements for visa application?

Basic requirements are your original passport with at least 6 months validity and two blank visa pages, one legibly, completely and truly filled Visa Application Form, one recent passport photo affixed on the application form, you also should submit additional documents for different category of Chinese visa: Tourist Visa (L), Business Visa (F), Student Visa (X), Work Visa (Z), Transit Visa (G), Crew Visa (C) and Journalist Visa (J). For more information, please refer to China Visa Types.

What is the Visa Notice Sheet (or Visa Notification)? Where can I apply for it?

Visa Notice Sheet is a certificate from an authorized governmental organization in China prescribing the visa validity, number of entries and stay period. The company/institute/company in China which invites you can apply this certificate for you in the Ministries and Commissions of the State Council, the Government of all Provinces, Autonomous Regions, and Municipalities directly under the Central Government, and Foreign Affairs Offices and Bureaus of Economy and Commerce hereunder, and departments and units recognized by the Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China.

How much should I pay for my visa?

The visa fees vary greatly according to your nationality, the number of entries, the country you are applying in and whether you need an express service or not. Generally speaking, the visa fees are more expensive if the visa has more number of entries. However, the visa fees are same for American citizens no matter what number of entries they apply for.

Can I apply for extension of duration of stay after I arrive in China?

Aliens who are already in China holding the L or F visa can apply for an extension of duration of stay at a local county level Public Security Bureau. You can read the China Visa Application in China to get more useful information.