Castle Quarter and Castle HillI.
I., district (Buda)
Bus: Castle Bus, 16, Funicular
Part of the World Heritage. Due to its excellent features it was settled as early as the 13th century; King Béla IV built a castle here after the Tartar invasion, and he chose this spot as the seat of royal rule. The Castle quarter on the Castle Hill stands 180 m above sea level. It is around 1.5 km long and in places it is 500 metres wide. It boasts three churches, six museums, many historical buildings, monuments, streets and squares, a theatre, four hotels, numerous atmospheric restaurants, cafés, galleries and gift shops. Breathtaking panoramas open from the Fishermen's Bastion and the promenade in front of the National Gallery.
The Royal Palace
One of the symbols of the nation, the palace has witnessed wars and occupation from the 13th to the 20th century. The Turks occupied it, as did the Habsburgs, it was destroyed three times and then rebuilt, each time in the architectural style of the age. Today's neo-Classical style was taken on after the Second World War. The building hosts several distinguished institutions: the Hungarian National Gallery, Budapest History Museum, National Széchényi Library
I,. Szentháromság tér
A relatively youthful structure next to Matthias Church. Building started in 1895 on the designs of Frigyes Schulek. It was sited on the place of the medieval fish market and the walls protected by the guild of fishermen, where the name. The neo-Romanesque bastion has only ever had a decorative role: it is a popular place to look out over Pest.
V., Kossuth Lajos tér
Visits by guided tour only.
Metro 2: Kossuth tér, Bus: 15, Tram: 2, Trolleybus: 70, 78
The largest building in the country, the permanent site of the national assembly, Parliament sits on the Danube embankment with its entrance looking out over Kossuth Square. The neo-Gothic building is the work of architect Imre Steindl, and was constructed between 1884-1902. It has 691 rooms, is 268 m long and its cupola rises 96 m into the air. The staircase is embellished with fine frescoes by Károly Lotz and sculptures by György Kiss. The painting The Conquest Hungarian painter, hangs in the congress chamber. Since 2000 the general public has been able to view the Hungarian coronation regalia here: St. Stephen's Crown, the sceptre, orb and Renaissance sword.
XIV, City Park
Metro: Hősök tere, Bus 4, Trolley 79
The most spectacular square in the capital, sited at the entrance to City Park. Anyone coming up Andrássy Boulevard sees from afar the 36-m-high column in the centre of the Millenium memorial, on top of which is a statue of the Archangel Gabriel holding the Hungarian Holy Crown and apostolic double cross. Quarter-circular colonnades extend to both left and right of the column. Between the pillars of the colonnade are figures of the 'greats' from Hungarian history, while the butt piers are embellished with emblematic sculptural ensembles ( work, welfare, knowledge, honour and peace). The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is positioned in front of the monument. The magnificent buildings of the Palace of Arts and the Museum of Fine Arts to the right and left of the monument enhance the fine architectural entity of Heroes Square
Statue of St Gellert
Tram: 18, 19, 47, 49
The statue of Bishop Gellért, who died a martyr in the 11th century, stands opposite Elizabeth Bridge on the south side of Gellért Hill. According to legend this is the spot from where pagans pushed the missionary bishop, sealed in a barrel, down into the Danube. The striking statue is enhanced by the semicircular colonnade behind and the natural spring which rises to surface at this point, and which turns into a waterfall bellow the statue.
Statue of Liberty
Bus 27, Tram 19, 18, 49, 47
The 14-m-high statue, the work of outstanding architect Zsigmond Kisfaludy Strobl, was raised in 1947 in memory of the country's liberation. And even though the start of Soviet rule, the statue on Gellért Hill was not removed even after the change of regime since it had become an indelibe part of the cityscape. There are two other sculptures at the foot of the female figure holding aloft the palm of victory: one is an allegory of progress, the other the fight against evil.